Follow this checklist to help ensure a smooth billing process.
Before Your Appointment
- Check with your insurance provider to make sure you know the benefits and requirements of your plan.
- Make sure that McFarland Clinic is a contracted service provider for your insurance plan. See a list of insurance plans we accept.
- Obtain a referral if your insurance company requires it.* Be sure to talk about this with your primary care provider before scheduling an appointment with one of our specialists.
- Know the limitations of the referral as certain circumstances may require you to obtain an extension or expansion of the scope of the referral.
*Note: McFarland Clinic does not require referrals, however your insurance company may require them to provide coverage for your visit or procedure.
Billing & Insurance Basics
Learn the basics of insurance and billing before your visit. The McFarland Clinic Business Services Customer Service team will gladly assist with additional billing questions you may have. See Business Services contact information.
Please arrive at least fifteen minutes prior to your appointment time. Having information readily available will assist us in making the check-in process easier for you. Information obtained in the registration process is kept in your confidential medical record.
The registration process is a vital link in your visit to McFarland Clinic. Information gathered provides us with contact information and ensures your claims will be filed to the correct insurance company.
Upon arrival at any McFarland Clinic site, you will be asked for basic information:
- Patient information – name, address, telephone number, employer, social security number, and emergency contact
- Current insurance card and pharmacy card
- Photo ID
You will be asked to make co-payments at the Registration/Check-In desk at the time of service. For your convenience, we can also accept payments toward your account. We accept cash, checks, debit cards, and major credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, Discover or American Express). We also offer online bill payment.
We are pleased to provide self-serve check-in kiosks at select Ames and Marshalltown locations.