Walking during winter requires special attention to avoid slipping and falling. Follow these tips on how to walk like a penguin and stay safe on snow and ice.
Choose Physical Therapy
Schedule an appointment at a McFarland Clinic Physical Therapy location near you. No referral is necessary.
Make an Appointment
Tips to Stay Safe on Snow and Ice
- Wear proper footwear with traction
- Point toes outward and keep feet flat on the ground
- Bend your knees slightly
- Keep your hands out of your pockets to allow your arms to be used for balance; avoid carrying items in your hands
- Take short steps or shuffle
- Keep your center of gravity over your front leg
- Walk slowly and carefully
- Sidestep down steps or curbs
When Exiting a Vehicle
- Use your vehicle for support
- Maintain 3 points of contact (for example: one foot on the ground, one hand on your car door, and one hand on your steering wheel)
Walk Like a Penguin
McFarland Clinic Physical Therapists demonstrate how to "walk like a penguin" to avoid slipping on ice and snow.